1. Application form translated

  2. Application form (Bern)

  3. List of countries that are excepted from the driving test.


Foreign driver's licenses

If you stay in Switzerland for more than 12 months (entry date according to the valid residence permit), you must exchange your foreign driver's license and license plates.

We recommend submitting the conversion request before the end of the 12 months so that you are entitled to drive without interruption.

If you drive a category B, B1, C, C1, D, D1 or F vehicle professionally, transport is not permitted before you receive the Swiss driver's license.

Information Department of Transportation (only in German and French)

Important note:

A definitive driver's license is given to people with a foreign driver's license, that was issued before December 1, 2005 for category A or B or that was issued on December 1, 2005 or later and was already valid for at least one year when the holder took up residence in Switzerland.

Otherwise, the driver's license will be issued on a trial basis.

Information Flyer

Swiss Driving License.pdf